“Success is something you attract by becoming an attractive person.” Jim Rohn
Of all the things that can have an effect on your future, I believe personal growth is the greatest. We can talk about sales growth, profit growth, asset growth, but all of this probably won’t happen without personal growth.
Personal development is the act or process of understanding and developing oneself in order to achieve one’s fullest potential. Personal development is a vital part in a person’s growth, maturity, success and fulfillment. It is the foundation of mature personality, better relationship, happiness, success and prosperity.
Unfortunately, however, not everyone is aware of the importance of personal development. It wasn’t given much attention at home, work or in school. People give more importance to academic and professional achievement rather than personal growth. This has caused a lot of emotional struggles that many people go through in life because they lack the soft skills which are crucial to one’s success and happiness. Such lack of self-understanding and principle-centered way of living blocks one’s ability to live an enjoyable and successful life.
Here are some of the reasons why personal development is important:
- It helps you understand yourself better
- It assist you in creating your goals and life purpose
- It guides you in managing and spending your time effectively
- It enhances your ability to handle stress, adversity and change
- It supports you in managing your finances more wisely
- It teaches you to build better relationship with people
- It allows you to live a balanced lifestyle
- It provides an opportunity to take care of your health.
If you don’t recognize the importance of personal development, you will continue living through life’s hard circumstances feeling like a victim instead of a victor. You will stick to your belief that you cannot do something to change and improve your situation. As such, you will continue complaining and being negative with almost everything in your life. You will constantly feel lost with your own life purpose, struggling to find who you are and what you want to become.